If you have been browsing through my old journal, you should probably know that both my boyfriend and i love to cook. We are fans of Thai food and recently he has been cooking a lot of Tom Yum soup at the same time trying to improve the recipe each time he cooks. If you love Tom Yum Goong as much as us, you may wanna try this recipe from us :) Its simple to cook and really delicious!
Jing's Tom Yam Goong™ - Improved Recipe
Preparation time ~ 30 mins
Cooking time ~ 15 mins
Serves 3 ~ 4
4 x cups of water
1 x galanggal 6cm
1 x Knoll chicken stock cube
10 x bird eye chilli, halved (variable, add according to taste)
3-4 tbsp Chao Shan Shantou Fish sauce
2 x packets of Mushrooms
2 x bunch Chinese parsley roots (about 15-20 roots)
6 x Shallots (sliced)
2 x stalks lemon grass (halved, lightly pounded)
10-12 x Lime leaves
2 x large limes (squeezed and de-seeded)
Salt to taste
12 x large prawns, peeled
1 x large sotong, sliced
120g fish, sliced (suitable ones such as grouper)
6-9 x mussels (optional)
2 x stalks Green Onion
sprinkle of shaved bunga kantan
1) Add 5 chili, galanggal, chicken stock cube into water and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave the rest of the chillis for moderation later.
2) Add fish sauce, mushroom and shallots, Chinese parsley root.
3) Boil for two minutes and add lemon grass. Taste soup - if not spicy enough, add chilli.
4) Immediately, throw in the seafood ingredients and lime leaves, and let boil. Stir well. Taste soup and make adjustments.
6) Switch off the stove once the soup is boiling.
7) Add lime juice.
8) Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with garnish. Serve hot with fragrant Thai white rice.
Enjoy and reward yourself with a spicy hot treat!